|
Chaffey College of Agriculture Building (no
longer standing)
1883-March 17 Cornerstone laid.
Liberal Arts Building (no
longer standing)
1909 � Original central portion built with north and south wings of one
story.
1912 � Around 1912, a one-story and a basement auditorium addition was
built on the west side. Later subdivided into classrooms.
1920 � Extensive interior changes were made and second story classrooms
were built over the north and south wings and over the front arcade.
1934 � Condemned on July 17. Present North Hall replaced this building.
North
Hall
1935 � May 27. Excavation begun for construction of a new classroom
building under SERA, but program discontinued in August 1935. It as then
transferred to WPA and work resumed October 15.
1937 � Completed and occupied during spring vacation of 1937.
1973 � First floor remodeled for administration and counseling offices.
1987 � Remodeling and addition of air conditioning in classrooms.
Science
Building (no longer standing)/South Hall
1911-1912 � Constructed out of 1911 Bond money.
1913 � Partly destroyed by fire.
1914 � Reconstructed. The portions not harmed by fire were left for the
most part as originally constructed. The destroyed portions were rebuilt with
the same general exterior wall portions as before, but with considerable
changing of the location of windows and rearrangement of rooms and interior
structural supporting elements.
1937 � Razed to make way for new building, the present South Hall. November
2: New building was begun on site of the old Science Building. It was divided
into two construction units in order that the WPA would accept the project. The
first project was for the north end of the building and contained about 14
classrooms. This portion was completed and first occupied at the beginning of
the school year, 1938.
1939 � Around October 1. Second unit of building begun.
1940 � About March 17. Second unit completed. It was occupied at the
beginning of the 1940-1941 term. Gymnasiums
1912 � Old central gym built.
1931 � Additions made of boys� locker and shower section, bleacher
section with team locker and shower space under, and a 20-foot addition to the
main gym floor.
1935 � Women�s gymnasium completed in September, dedicated September 19.
1936 � Boys� gymnasium (three units: music building, gymnasium, and
athletic headquarters) work started February 4.
1937 � Old gym razed in fall.
1937 � New gym used during basketball season of 1937, though not completed.
Completed during the summer of 1937 and occupied during the school year
1937-1938.
Auditorium
1912 � Basement auditorium addition built at west side of Liberal Arts
building.
1920 � Pipe organ purchased and change made in music rooms.
1935 � Old auditorium closed December 10.
1937 � Old auditorium razed. Work was begun on October 6.
1938 � Ground broken February 1 for the new Gardiner W. Spring Auditorium.
1939 � New Auditorium dedicated March 17.
1985 � Restoration begun. Handicapped ramp added on north side. Restrooms
added on first floor for handicapped. Exterior repainted. Light standards
installed in quad foreground area. Mechanic Arts Building (no
longer standing).
1912 � First erected. East wing built. Boiler room enlarged.
1922 � Additions made. West wing built.
1947 � Burned January 12. Contained Student Store and Snack Bar, Boiler
room only remained. Swimming Pool (Plunge)
1916 � First plunge built.
1935 � Work was begun on excavation for new plunge May 27, under SERA. Work
held up by ending of SERA on August 20, 1935, but resumed October 15, under WPA.
1937 � Pool opened for use May 26.
Home Economics Building
1922 � Constructed by day labor out of 1920 Bond money.
1935 � The cafeteria housed in this building was discontinued and the main
floor partitioned for classrooms to make room for the students who were forced
to vacate the old Liberal Arts Building.
1950 � Dedication of new Home Economics building and new student
union/cafeteria was main event at "Open House" November 8 and 9.
1951 � Opened to classes in fall 1951.
Junior College
Building (Tower Hall)
(Chaffey Junior College of Agriculture was originally organized in 1919. In
its earliest days, the junior college had no physical identity. Its students
were scattered in the buildings erected for the high school, and instructors who
gave part of their time to the high school curriculum taught its classes.)
1930 � Construction started about October 20.
1931 � First unit completed in March, dedicated May 22.
1932 � Second unit completed about February.
1960 � Junior College moved to new campus in Alta Loma. The high school
took over the building for classrooms. It became known as Tower Hall.
1976 � Completed remodeling into district administration offices, and named
the Allan G. Smith Educational Services Center.
Patio (Junior
College "campus")
1931-1932 � Completed. Charles Booth donated the palm trees, then only
three feet tall. Mrs. R. J. Mounsey gave the flowers to the school as a living
memorial to her son, Robert Mortrud, who died in 1941 while in the U.S. Army. He
attended Chaffey College before enlisting in the army.
Chaffey
Memorial Library
1934 � Work began on November 28.
1935 � Dedicated on September 19. Completed October 15. Previously, the
library was housed in the Administration Building � also known as the Liberal
Arts Building � which housed the auditorium and library.
1985 � Tables and Chairs refinished.
1986 � Library boiler system replaced with heating/air conditioning system.
Aeronautics Building
1934 � Completed September 13.
1940 � Facilites doubled.
1942 � Second half finished. In March, Chaffey acquired building at Ontario
International Airport to house classes in aircraft mechanics.
1961 � Remodeled for use as district offices, print shop, and warehouse.
1976 � Remodeled for Business Education Department and Adult Education
Office. Opened in August.
Graber Field
1928 � Named in honor of C.C. Graber, member of the Chaffey Board of
Trustees from 1911-1932.
Bleachers/Stadium
1936 � Construction started in May. Dedicated October 30. Chaffey Union
High School built the south bleacher. On November 1, the Junior College began
work on a like bleacher to be placed on the north side of the athletic field.
1937 � North bleacher completed. Music Building
1936 � Construction started February as one unit of the Boys� Gym.
1937 � Completed. Occupied at beginning of school year 1937-1938. Bus/Maintenance/Shop
Buildings
1940 � Work was begun on this structure March 6. Completed during the
summer of 1940. Industrial Arts Building
1941 � Completed.
Bungalows/Art Annex
1947 � Constructed as additional classrooms.
1956 � Portable building set up. The Art Department used these until new
quarters were constructed in the basement of South Hall in 1977. Agriculture
Building/West Hall
1949 � Completed. Student Union Building/Cafeteria/Student
Store
1949 � Construction started in summer.
1950 � Building accepted in May. First student function was the spring
formal, "Flower Fantasy," held on May 20. Building dedicated at
"Open House" on November 8 and 9. The Junior College "Kampus
Kitchen" was on the second floor. Agriculture Department
Residence
1950 � House was moved from 202 West Fifth Street to 557 West Fifth Street
on the west edge of the campus.
1977 Torn down to complete Dominga High School
Nurse�s House
1951 � Former residence of Alexander Minton, across from the college at 126
West Fifth Street, was purchased and remodeled for a nurse�s cottage (Junior
College building).
1966 � Torn down when the property was purchased by the First Baptist
Church. Track Storage Building
1973 � Constructed. Math/Science Building
1975 � Dedicated April 28.
Locker Complex
1975 � Dedicated April 28.
1981 � Lockers removed. Dominga High School
1978 � First occupied during the summer. Built on the northwest corner of
Chaffey campus. Originally called the Chaffey Training Center.
The End !!!!
|