http://www.chaffey.org/alumni/

PHYSICAL EDUCATION HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF CHAFFEY HIGH SCHOOL
Article Index
Page 1
- Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Many of the original buildings and landmarks are no longer in existence.  Most of the campus as you know it today was built in the mid 1930's to 1940's.  In 1935, the NRA (National Recovery Administration) one of the chief recovery weapons of the New Deal, was ruled unconstitutional by the United States Supreme Court.  In a unanimous decision, the court held that National Recovery Act, under which the NRA had been operating since 1933, exceeded constitutional limits by allowing government intervention in the setting of wages and hours in private industry.   

The court decision was a severe blow to President Roosevelt and his advisors.  It brought rejoicing on Wall Street, where bankers and industrialists termed the court action the "best thing in years."  Congress called the controversial decision a vindication of recent attacks on the New Deal by former President Herbert Hoover.  While unhappy over scuttling the NRA, the administration now had the weapon in its fight to provide jobs for needy Americans.  Hence, the WPA (Works Progress Administration) which provided jobs for thousands of construction workers, TEACHERS, musicians, artists, actors, and workers of all kinds was born.  So was the new ERA of Chaffey High School.  As you walk around this beautiful campus, take the time to really look around.  You will find, for example, that work done by the WPA and its local branch the PWA (Public Works Administration) is stamped in the concrete sidewalks all over the school.  

In PHYSICAL EDUCATION the original pool (called a PLUNGE in those days) was constructed in 1916.  It was a grand indoor, completely enclosed facility.  It was a gift from the class of 1915 and in part from an endowment fund and the generosity of the local taxpayers.  "The PLUNGE contains a commodious tank, 100 by 40 feet and 120 dressing rooms.  Needless to say, swimming and water polo are favorite sports at Chaffey.  The plunge is ample in size and well provided with equipment.  It is constructed not alone for the benefit of the enrolled students but in keeping with the policy of the school, it is open to the public in the evenings and on Saturdays and holidays."   

In 1935, with the guidance of the WPA, work has begun on excavation for the new pool. 
It was completed in 1937 and was one of only three 50-meter pools in southern California.  The other two were in the City of Commerce and the other on the USC campus. Rumor has it that the 1932 Olympians trained at the old plunge.  On May 26, 1937 the new pool was opened for use.  The pool area used to have a low and a high diving board and it was surrounded with patio table and umbrellas.  Vandals and potential lawsuits have done away with the boards, umbrellas and tables. 

According to Clyde Francisco, in or about 1946, it was not an uncommon sight to see Doc Blanchard and Glen Davis, Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside for those great Army Football teams, sitting poolside at Chaffey during the summer when the pool was supposed to be closed.  In the summer of 1998, $350,000 will be allocated to refurbish the pool and get the piping, pumps and system up to date. 

The South Gym has an old and varied history.  The original gym was built in 1912.  It was basically a wooden and brick structure.  In 1931, additions of the boy's locker room and shower sections were made.  Isn't it ironic, that with all of the progress we have made, since 1979 showers and personal hygiene are no longer in existence, being brought down by the courts.  Students do not have to shower after physical education.  We've really progressed!  A bleacher section and a team locker were completed with shower space under, as was a 20-foot addition to the main gym floor.  

Also in 1935, the WPA completed construction on the north or women's gym. (Our guess is they never heard of Title 9 or gender equity).  It was dedicated on September 9, 1935.  In 1936 a new boys gymnasium, the music room and an athletic headquarters (coaches offices) were started.  In 1937, the old gym was torn down and the new gym, although not fully completed, was used for the 1937 basketball season.  It was completed in the summer of 1937 and occupied during the school year of 1937-38.  The original floor from the gym, which was built in 1912, was used in the newly constructed gym in 1937.  It was in use until 1997 when it was replaced and refurbished to the tune of $1,000,000 dollars. 

PHYSICAL EDUCATION HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF CHAFFEY HIGH SCHOOL
Article Index
Page 1
- Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

 

• CHS Home  • About CHS  • Alumni  • Calendar • Career Center • CCNS • Community  •
• Contact Info • Counselors • Departments • Fractals • GuestBook • Health Center  •
• History • Library  • Links  • Parents • Principal •
Resources •
• Reunions •
Site Map • Sports  • Staff  • Students • Virtual Tour •