Pictures and History
|Rancho Cucamonga's second oldest
house was built in 1874 by Joseph Garcia, a retired sea captain, and sold to
Etiwanda founder George Chaffey on Thanksgiving Day in 1881. The House
originally included 560 acres which the Chaffey Brothers, William and George,
used to establish the first Model Colony, which he named Etiwanda after a friend
of the Chaffey family back in Ontario, Canada. This friend was an Indian
Chief whose name was "Etiwanda."
Picture taken in 1985 at new present site, before renovation.
|The house was the site of many
innovations, including the first hydroelectric powered light, the first mutual
water company, and the area's first long distance phone line. * documentation In 1882, the
Chaffeys also designed the Ontario Model Colony, which became the present day
communities of Ontario and Upland, while living in the Chaffey-Garcia House.
|The restoration project grew out of
the Etiwanda Centennial celebration that was held from November 1981 through
November 1982. The Chaffey-Garcia House is now located at 7150 Etiwanda
Avenue. Originally Captain Garcia built it between the present day
Etiwanda Avenue and East Avenue, and between Summit Avenue to the north and
Highland Avenue to the south, about a mile from its present location.
Picture taken in 1979 at original site.
|The Etiwanda Historical Society is
proud to announce that the Chaffey-Garcia House and Museum is open to the
public. The completion of many interior detail improvements and furnishing
of the house, with period pieces on loan from the San Bernardino County museum,
and donations from Chaffey descendants and local residents, has completed the
Chaffey-Garcia Barn looking southwest
|The Chaffey-Garcia House and Museum
is open to the public for tours on the second Saturday of each month. The
House and grounds have seen special events such as the Chaffey High School Class
of 1938 Reunion, Mothers Day Tea, and the Annual November Open House Celebration.
|The restoration has been made a
reality through the hard work of the Etiwanda Historical Society, elementary
school students, volunteers, corporate and individual donations, and government
Complementing the House is a recreation of the Chaffey
barn that was completed in 1995. It has a small special event facility and
historical display rooms.
Chaffey-Garcia Barn looking northwest.